Vo2 Max Testing - 60 Minutes
WHAT IS IT?
A VO₂ max test determines your body's maximum ability to take up, transport and utilise oxygen. Basically, it determines how much work/power output your body can complete aerobically, with a higher value indicating that more work can be done. It is a key performance indicator for endurance sports such as triathlon, cycling, running, swimming, rowing and cross country skiing due to its crucial role in endurance performance.
WHY DO I NEED IT?
Understanding and improving your VO₂ max is particularly important in endurance events lasting more than 2 minutes, as a larger VO₂ max directly correlates with increased power output. The test will also determine your functional power threshold (cycling) or functional speed threshold (running), which is the maximum power/speed you can perform at during endurance events. This data, along with heart rate and ventilation responses, are used to determine your individualised power and heart rate training zones so you can train more effectively and dramatically improve performance. Essentially, this test will give you all the information you need to know in order to:
- Understand your current fitness level
- Learn YOUR heart rate/power training zones (not the generic % of max HR or % of FTP rubbish)
- Improve your training effectiveness
- Improve your competition performance
- Learn your energy expenditure at different work loads
- Compare yourself to the competition/elites.
This is an incremental exercise test, which means we start at a low intensity and gradually increase the intensity every minute until you reach exhaustion. Your oxygen consumption, heart rate, power output, ventilation, and energy expenditure data is recorded constantly throughout the exercise test.
We offer treadmill, stationary bike or rowing ergometry options to undertake the test.
WHAT YOU GET:
- An immediate print out of your VO₂ max, anaerobic threshold, functional threshold power/speed, maximum heart rate, and energy expenditure to take home with you.
- An easy to understand interpretation of your results and how to use your training zones.
- A detailed summary report with all of your results including heart rate and power/pace training zones and graphs will be emailed to you within 3 days of testing. This includes a 'strengths', 'areas for improvement' and 'summary/notes' section.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING? WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Please wear comfortable exercise clothing and bring a pair of runners, a towel, and drink bottle. Prior to the test, you should be well rested by avoiding strenuous physical activity in the preceding 24 hours, be well hydrated, and motivated to exercise maximally. Try to avoid large meals in the 2-3 hours leading up to the test, and try to simulate your race day nutrition preparation.
If scheduling a follow-up test, try to book in at a similar time and attempt to follow an identical preparation in the lead up to the test. This will improve the reliability of the test and more accurately determine your fitness improvements.
Now that you have your individualised training zones, you are able to train and race more effectively. METS Performance Consulting recommends retesting every 3-6 months to gauge your improvement and reassess your training zones. METS offers triathlon, cycling and running coaching from qualified professionals with a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Exercise and Sport Science, based on your individual results and the most up-to-date Sport Science research to optimise your training and performance. If you are interested in coaching, please click here for more information.
Alternatively, our 45 minute performance consultation may be all you need to get you on your way. Click here for more information.